Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Torque wrench question...

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 20:35:53 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 12:28:14 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

A friend stopped by and had a question about torquing
a large nut left hand thread to 185 ft lbs. His wrench
only torques right hand threads. It's a clicker type.
I said I have one that'll do LH. He said no way, there
are no clickers available in LH. So I dug out mine and
showed him by clamping the square in the vice and
sure enough it'll do LH. He'll need an extension to do
the job so just use his 'upside down' on the extension.
That worked. Then the real question: can a clicker
that only torques RH be used to break loose a nut
without damage to the wrench? Like auto lug nuts for
instance. If the nut is too tight, can the one way
clicker be used to break it loose then re-torque?
These newer clickers ratchet both ways LH and RH
but only torque RH. My wrench is a 40+ year old
Craftsman clicker in good shape. I would never use
mine to break a nut loose. What do you think?
phil k.

WHY would you use a precision tool to break loose a tight nut????
And any torque wrench I've used (been using them for 50 years) wwill
torque either direction.

"Loose nut behind the wheel." is the code mechanics use for
interestingly-opined customers. Right, Phil? g

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying