Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Lorry overtaking ban, M11

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 10:54:37 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

If on the other hand you get done for speeding up (or going through red
lights) to make way for a vehicle that has its blue lights on, that's
different - it would be churlish of the police to prosecute someone who is
making every effort to get out of the way to let him past, providing it
wasn't dangerous.

There are stories of people still being 'done' for say pulling across
a white line or into a bus lane or box junction (as I believe is what
the law states) but I'm hoping they were let off under the 'special
circumstances'.

I also understand the drivers of emergency vehicles are supposed to
turn off sirens and especially not blow their horns as a way of
bullying people into doing something illegal (and / or possibly
causing an accident).

It must be difficult though when every second counts re controlling a
fire or saving lives.

I think the only time non-emergency drivers can legally break the Road
Traffic rules is when indicated to do so by a uniformed officer (like
an outrider on a Police escort etc).

Given TNP's scenario, I wonder if it could have been considered that
said Police driver was warning him to get out of the way by flashing
his lights (that should officially only be used as a warning, not an
invitation to do something) and therefore he was given authority by
said Police driver to exceed the speed limit.

Otherwise, wouldn't it be considered 'entrapment'?

Cheers, T i m