Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Drain motor for Whirlpool WDF750SAYW0.

Phil Allison wrote:
David Farber wrote:

My dishwasher isn't draining. The drain lines are clean. I removed
the drain pump motor and the first thing I noticed was that when you
begin to turn it by hand, there is a lot of resistance from what
feels like a magnetic force. Then when you continue turning it by
hand and overcome the magnetic resistance, it pops into its next
neutral position, sort of like when you turn a crankshaft on a gas
engine by hand and the resistance of the lifters gives way on the
other side of the cam lobe.

** That is normal.

The rotor is a magnet, deliberately used in an asymmetric
arrangement with the stator.

When I powered it up on the
bench, the motor shakes quite a bit.

** But does it turn ?

I found a rubber band stuck inside one that stopped it turning under
its on power. You need to take a look.

..... Phil

The motor does turn but it vibrates above and beyond any motor I've ever
encountered. (It would be great if you installed in one of those chairs that
give you a back massage.) The explanation in this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0W9pzBZ-DI says the motor should have a DC
input resistance of 200 ohms. Though I can understand there will be
variances between every motor, this motor measures 20 ohms between the input
terminals. The line draw as registered by my Sencore PR57 is just under 100
watts at 120VAC. The sticker on the motor says 40W.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA