Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] iowatom@gmail.com is offline

Default Stucco or Plaster over Structural Clay Blocks

I have a basement that has walls made of structural clay blocks. More than a decade ago I chipped and scraped most of the paint off the walls. I even used a high pressure washer to get what I could off. Apart from sandblasting €“ which I am not going to do - getting virtually all the paint off is not going to happen.

I am going over the walls one last time and plan to cover them with either plaster or stucco. There is a little dampness to various places and some efflorescence here and there. It always comes back in time.

I have read a lot and am more confused now than when I started. I've boiled my questions down to the following.

(1a) Should I use an additive to make the material stick better? (1b) If so do I add it to the mix or paint it onto the bricks first? An additive is definitely going to add to the cost.

(2a) Should I use stucco or plaster? (2b) If stucco, will the so-called brown coat alone be enough if I dont care about a smooth finish in the end? I plan to paint whatever I end up with. (2c) If I decide to add a finish coat should I €śscratch€ť the brown coat before it dries? (2d) Will the brown coat develop hairline cracks?

(3) Should I pit the wall first by drilling a lot of little holes a short way into the blocks?

(4) Should I go to the trouble and expense if reinforcing the material I use with fiberglass fibers or a mesh of any kind?