Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can theydo it?)

On 4/1/2017 4:48 PM, Jonas Schneider wrote:

What he does is give me good service year round no matter what the
problem is.

What you're saying is fair enough that, while price matching gains you
nothing, keeping your business "in the family" gains you "good service".

I have nothing against good service, but since I mount and balance my own
tires, I can't think of why I would need that good service?

Very few of us mount our own tires. I can't justify the investment when
I buy a set of tires every18 months at best.

But if good service is really what you were after, then "price matching"
isn't part of that equation, as making the local brick-and-mortar guy lower
his price to online rates isn't likely to make him want to give you better
service, is it?

Let's call it "good value". I don't mind paying a little more at times
but I certainly don't want to get gouged. I try to check out prices
before buying anything. Lowest price is not always the cheapest buy.

What's the absolute worst thing that can happen to a tire?

The worst thing is a non-repairable injury, right?
What's so bad about that?

All you do is put the spare tire on, and fire up a web browser, and order a
new tire shipped to your house or to the local tire installer.

Twenty bucks paid to the local installer, and your worst fears have been
repaired with a brand new tire.

Ask the guy that has a flat spare because he never check it.

To spend 600 dollars on four tires is astronomical.
What kind of car has replacement tires that are $150 each?

I'm not at all saying you can't find tires that *sell* for $150 each,
because they are all over the place. But if you take the OEM spec for your
tires, and if you can't find a tire that meets that OEM spec, and that
isn't a *lot* less than $150, then you didn't look all that hard.

You'd be right if I was driving my '62 Corvair with 13" wheels. I need
245/45R18 and cheap ones ar $92 and go up to $260. I drive enough to
justify a good tire over one that just has to go 2 miles to the grocery
store.

However, you're NOT getting the best priceerformance deal at 600 bucks
for a set of four tires. That's fine, if you're flush with money, simply
because money isn't important to anyone who has a lot of it.

Questionable. I want a good tire when I hit 100 mph so I;m willing to
pay for it.