Posted to alt.home.repair
Jonas Schneider Jonas Schneider is offline

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can they do it?)

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 16:44:45 -0500, My 2 Cents wrote:

Have you found that tire prices are dropping drastically?

I've bought a couple of sets from these people but it's been a couple
of years now. Free shipping, no sales tax or environmental fees.
No faster or further than I go now days I don't know if I'll ever need
to buy another tire. I did fix a leak in one the other day. I rather
enjoy changing and patching and balancing my own tires. Reminds me of
my first job at a service station over 50 years ago.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

I'm with you in that it's satisfying to patch a tire in the driveway
knowing that you did a good job, without having to even pull out the spare.

What kind of percentage have you gotten on balancing? I'm running close to
100% of the tires I've mounted as causing zero palpable vibration at speed.

It seems that the only ones afraid of imbalanced tires are those who have
never balanced one in their lives, so they are operating 99% on fear alone.

What's the worst thing that can happen if the tires you just mounted are
imbalanced when you test it out on the highway?

And what do those balance fearful people do a year or two into the life of
the tires?

This Goodyear shill says to balance three to four times a year!
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/services/tire-balancing

This says to balance twice a year (for a fifteen-thousand mile year):
http://driving-tests.org/beginner-dr...balance-tires/

This also says to balance twice a year:
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/08/t...eel-alignment/

Here they again say to balance every six months:
http://www.sstire.com/wheel-alignmen...he-difference/
"as you drive your tires lose balance"

This says to balance every year:
https://www.utires.com/blog/how-ofte...-and-balanced/

Yet CarTalk Tom & Ray say you never need to rebalance mounted tires:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/my-de...nced-each-time