Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Benderthe.evilrobot Benderthe.evilrobot is offline

Default Florescent light fixture gone bad

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 05:43:34 -0500,
wrote:

The good capacitor is not labeled like a normal cap, so I don't know
what value it is. It says K 505J 250. (I am guessing its 250 volt,
but I am clueless about the uf value).

I did figure out one thing on my own (using Google).

505J is a Japanese way of marking a cap. In this case, it's 5uf.
So it's a 5uf at 250V cap. I can only guess the "J" means Japan.

J=+/-5% tolerance.

http://www.dummies.com/programming/electronics/capacitor-tolerance-code/

My thoughts too - but 5% seems a bit too good for a PFC capacitor.

---
http://www.avg.com