Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Foxs Mercantile Foxs Mercantile is offline

Default Florescent light fixture gone bad

On 4/1/2017 3:21 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 12:14:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I can only guess the "J" means Japan.

1967, North High School, Earth Science class, Mr. Hillier.
Points to the letter W on the periodic chart, "John, what element is
this?"
"Uh, water?"

Why they cant label their caps like normal people, is frustrating,
but that's how they do it.

Get over yourself.

This *is* how normal people label capacitors:
https://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/images/capcode.gif

I work on vintage radios along with "new" stuff.
How they marked things has changed over the years.

Paper dielectric capacitors for example were marked
0.002 MFD 400 WVDC |
value, voltage and which end was the outside foil.
The only "not the same" ones were the Sprague "Bumble Bee" black
plastic bodies which didn't matte, because they all need to be
replaced anyway.
Back in the '70s when I first started work in the aerospace
industry, capacitors that we used were all marked with the number
system, 104 for example for 0.01 uF. (And that was uF, not MFD.)

I remember reading a mil-spec definition for some capacitors where
then specifically assigned random numbers in place of the values.
This way you had NO idea what the value was unless you had the
"secret Captain Video decoder wheel." This was supposed to cut down
on employee theft of components.

During the early '30s, just to make things a little more interesting,
they used the letter M instead of K for "thousands of ohms" on the
schematics, so a 47,000 resistor was marked 47M, not 47K. The Meg
was used to bigger values, 1,000,000 was 1 Meg. But I'd get the
occasional questions, "Where can I get a 120 meg ohm resistor?"

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

---