Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Selling A House With A Shop - Leave It For Showing Or Empty It?

On 4/1/17 9:34 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 10:26:15 AM UTC-4, Michael wrote:
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 9:20:31 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My neighbor is selling his house. He has a wood shop in his
basement, maybe 15 x 25. Table saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, a
couple of workbenches, etc. The shop is at ground level, with a
door to the back yard. Some pretty nice stuff has come out that
shop.

The rest of the basement is unfinished, basically one large room
with the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer and some storage
shelves. Oh yeah, there's a shower stall bathroom in the corner.
The basement can be accessed by stairs from the kitchen or
through the shop. They are 2 separate spaces. It's sloped lot,
allowing for a walk-out basement in the rear for the shop.

His realtor has told him that he should empty the shop before
showing the house, so he has moved all of his equipment and
material to storage until his new house is ready.

What are your thoughts? Would you have left the shop as staging
or emptied the room like the realtor suggested? I know we are
biased, so maybe we aren't the right people to ask. ;-) If
staging bedrooms and kitchens is all the rage these days, why not
stage a shop?

The rule is empty because it looks bigger and the buyer imagines
all his or her stuff in there.

That's not the "rule" we're following as we get my dad's house ready
to show.

The realtor has a "stager" on staff that went through the house and
told us what to leave. Beds, a dresser, a small desk in a room that
could be an office, etc. They even have air mattresses, bed frames
and other items that they can set up if you can't leave your own
stuff.

DAGS 'staging a house for showing'

If you will notice when realtors stage a house they use a minimum amount
of furniture in each room and always the smaller choices of furniture.
You won't see a California King in a 12x16 bedroom.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--