Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Florescent light fixture gone bad

On Sat, 01 Apr 2017 12:45:49 -0400, Fred McKenzie wrote:

Oldschool-

You caught my interest, since I have been slowly changing some old
fluorescent fixtures for LED.

I'm thinking your capacitor may use a standard method of marking:
significant digits 5 and 0 followed by 5 zeros, and a J to indicate 5
percent. This is in picofarads, so the result would be 5 microfarads.
I agree that the 250 would be voltage. I would expect such a capacitor
to be non-polarized.

I once found a similar fixture, but the two sides were just independent.
Each had an inductor for ballast, but used a starter for each. I think
yours may be the modern equivalent that does not use a starter.

My thought would be to replace the entire fixture, not just convert it.
The cost may be similar, but the result may look and work better.

Fred

Your right about those caps. Funny thing, I began working on electronics
around 1965. I have never seen a cap marked like that till now. All I
have seen all those years were either marked uf, MFD, uuf MMFD, or PF.
And some of them real old ones with colored bands and dots that make
them look like a domino.

Yep, both sides are independent on this fixture. I think those 5uf caps
replaced the starter.

I looked at the cost of a new fixture. The LED ones complete with bulbs
are around $60. I can get the bulbs for about $7.50 each. Theres no
sense spending the extra $45, when this fixture is just fine. Except for
the socket ends and the cord, all I am re-using is the metal/plastic
shell. And since I ripped out the guts, I gave it a good hose cleaning
and it looks almost like new.

Besides that, I think the NEW fixtures are all plastic. I like metal
better.