Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Desktop PC power supply

wrote:

I had an older Pentium computer that came with a 100W PS. It worked
fine until I added more RAM and an extra Hard drive. Then it would
randomly crash or just do a reboot for no reason. Shortly afterwards,
the PS just died. I bought a 350W PS and never had another problem
with that computer. It's called RESERVE POWER. Under normal use, it
only uses 54W, but add a few drives and run it real hard, and the
power use demand rises.

It's called 'Not using under rated parts'. That 100W was marginal,
at best when the computer was built. That 350W rating may, or may not be
the real power it can deliver.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.