Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old EPROM questions

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:32:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:26:35 -0700, wrote:

I'll check to see if they are stuck. I don't think they will be though
because I have worked on even older FANUC controls and they all seem
to have been made pretty with pretty good components. I do have some
of theat DeOxit5 contact cleaner. Should I spray some on before
attempting removal?
Eric

You're right about Fanuc using decent components.
Contact cleaner makes a mess and is not necessary.

It something like this Fanuc board?
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/66cAAOSwd4tTrwpk/s-l500.jpg
I used to help the owner of a local machine shop maintain a Mori Seiki
MV35-35 5 axis machining center, with a Fanuc something controller.
For upgrades, I never had a problem removing or inserting the EPROM's.
The coolant and oil fog that usually surrounds these machines does a
nice job of preventing corrosion. Watch out for the dehumidifier,
where condensation might make things rust.

Just pry out the EPROMS with a plastic pry tool or "spudger" (to
prevent cracking the ceramic EPROM case). Something like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161408350619

Also, take a photograph of the PCB before disassembling so you can put
the EPROMs back in the correct socket.

For saving the EPROM contents, there are cheap EPROM burners available
on eBay. I have one like this:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/K6BJ-MSF5000/Willem5.jpg
About $50 on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=willem+eprom+programmer
However, there are some tricks involved and it's all too easy to make
a mistake and trash an EPROM. If you're going to do this yourself, I
strongly suggest that you first practice with some junk EPROMs.

Good luck.

Greetings Jeff,
The board I am replacing has only 6 EPROMs but still looks similar.
Thanks for mentioning picture taking, I will for sure be doing that. I
didn't know the programmers were so inexpensive now. Since I have lots
of old EPROMs from a few other FANUC controls I am gonna order a
reader/programmer and see if I can copy the junk ones. So I'll be
asking for advice soon about which programmer to get for my particular
devices and how to avoid scrapping them.
Thanks,
Eric