Default Attic ventilation woes

Is it possible that there are styrofoam vent channels stabled to the
underside of the lower part of your roof that keep the insulation about an
inch away drom the underside of the roof and allow for air flow from the
soffit to flow directly against the underside of the roof? That is what
should have been done. Depending on the exact situation, they may be hard
to see.

I think I have a serious problem with attic ventilation in my
two-story house. It has this wierd design in which the soffits are
actually lower than the ceilings by a couple of feet. Here's a link
to a diagram.

http://www.geocities.com/tgcplatemat...entilation.jpg

The whole perimeter is like that, with all the second-floor ceilings
having an angled section about three feet long that runs parallel to
the roof. As far as I can tell, the space between the ceiling and the
roof (where they are parallel) is stuffed with blown-in insulation,
completely blocking the soffit vents.

My question is how is this supposed to work? If I remove the
insulation that's blocking the vents, some of my ceiling will be
uninsulated.

Also, is there any unbiased organization/person I can hire to look at
my situation and tell me what, if anything, I need to do. Obviously,
any company I hire to look at it will tell me I need work done and
that they are the best company to do it.

I appreciate any help I can get, as my electric bills are ridiculous.