Shooter Dude

Default Attic ventilation woes

I don't know why the link doesn't work when you click on it, but if
you paste it directly into the Address field of your browser, it does.

I think I have a serious problem with attic ventilation in my
two-story house. It has this wierd design in which the soffits are
actually lower than the ceilings by a couple of feet. Here's a link
to a diagram.

http://www.geocities.com/tgcplatemat...entilation.jpg

The whole perimeter is like that, with all the second-floor ceilings
having an angled section about three feet long that runs parallel to
the roof. As far as I can tell, the space between the ceiling and the
roof (where they are parallel) is stuffed with blown-in insulation,
completely blocking the soffit vents.

My question is how is this supposed to work? If I remove the
insulation that's blocking the vents, some of my ceiling will be
uninsulated.

Also, is there any unbiased organization/person I can hire to look at
my situation and tell me what, if anything, I need to do. Obviously,
any company I hire to look at it will tell me I need work done and
that they are the best company to do it.

I appreciate any help I can get, as my electric bills are ridiculous.