Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old EPROM questions

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:53:45 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 03/31/2017 12:05 PM, wrote:
All that know,
I have a machine tool made in 1985 that has, apparently, a faulty
circuit board. This board has EPROMs on it that I will need to remove
and insert into a replacement board that is coming to me. Aside from
making sure I am grounded to both the board and to the ground itself
are there any other precautions I should take? Also, when the machine
won'y be busy for a week or two I would like to get the EPROMs copied.
I could send them to someone but I am also considering doing the job
myself. I have other EPROMs of the same vintage that I can practice
with if I do the job myself but I don't know if this is something I
should try with the ones I really want back ups of. Any advice?
Thanks,
Eric

Assuming they're in the usual cheap sockets, I'd probably destroy the
sockets with a scalpel and bend the fingers out before removing the
EPROMs. In equipment that old, the pins may be corroded, and you don't
want one to fall off.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
(Who has a lab full of top-of-the-line boat anchors. Love 'em.)

I'll check to see if they are stuck. I don't think they will be though
because I have worked on even older FANUC controls and they all seem
to have been made pretty with pretty good components. I do have some
of theat DeOxit5 contact cleaner. Should I spray some on before
attempting removal?
Eric