Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help, cutting stair stringers

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 7:24:21 AM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote:

This methodology has served me well over the years. I adopted it because the
first set of stairs I built when I was a kid (utility stairs in a 2 story
garage) had a low first step and it still bugs me nearly 40 years later.

Yeah... one of the things that was difficult for me to wrap my head around for the first couple of steps was to calculate the top of the first tread. One builder I worked for used 2X12 treads on 2 stringers with a support wall underneath. Plenty sturdy. The other used 3/4 plywood on three stringers and stiff back under. Both sturdy, but worked well.

But for some reason while I was learning I had trouble with the height of the first tread and the finishing height of the last tread, below the top landing. I overthought it and confused myself, especially if there was a landing that changed directions of the stair case halfway up.

I have been in a lot of houses that have a first and last step that don't match the stair steps!

Robert

Robert