Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default age

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 19:31:53 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 27/03/2017 19:11, ARW wrote:
On 24/03/2017 15:46, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:14:16 PM UTC, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers
on this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

I'm 39.

So is Homer Simpson!

Now if you asked me how old I was I would say 46.

However if you asked my Mother how old I was I am sure she would say 47
in October or some other ******** - It's something Mothers never stop
doing.

But you are in your 47th year...

Plus, added to that fact, it's "A Habit Born Out Of Hope", that mothers
in general cultivate[1], that her child (yourself in this instance) will
survive to enjoy the forthcoming birthday celebrations at the end of said
year. It's a little bit unfair to be so dismissive of your mother's pious
hope for your survival to your next birthday as to be a matter of "Just
some other ********".

[1] Mothers carry a heavy burden of responsibility in the rearing of
their offspring to a stage of independent adulthood. A premature, infant
or juvenile death, would be regarded by most mothers faced with such
tragedy as some sort of failing on their part no matter how little they
could have done to prevent such a tragedy in the first place. It's only
human nature to feel some sense of guilt in such circumstances, even in
cases entirely beyond the limits of the best of parental protection.

Parents, mothers particularly, will be protective of their infant
offspring so it should come as no surprise that a mother will develop a
mindset that regards age as a half filled glass rather than as a half
emptied one, hence the tendency to expressions such as "He'll be 47 this
October" when it comes to the question of the age of any of their
offspring. :-)

--
Johnny B Good