Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Blank RF Probe tips

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017, analogdial wrote:

wrote:

Do any companies sell those blank RF probe tubes with metal tips? I
recall back in the 60s you could buy the entire probes with internal
parts as kits. They came with the same basic "shell" but had different
internal parts for different uses. The parts inside of them are basic.
Normally one diode and a resistor(s) or cap, or both.

I've found the schematics for several different probes, and I know that
some people build them in a pill bottle, or ink pen shell, or whatever,
but I'd like to find some of the REAL shells if they are sold.

Anyone know?

Thanks

The probe in the old ARRL handbooks was in the sort of shield and socket
used with 7 pin tubes. The pin connectors were removed from the socket
and a long screw was installed through the center tube of the socket.
All the RF probe parts were installed on a terminal strip which was held
to the socket by the screw which also served as the tip of the probe.

But it's no longer so easy to find tube sockets and shields. It looked
like a good idea back then.

But I did try making a probe, and I wasn't really pleased with the
results. It looked not so great.

I'd just go to a hobby store (they still exist) and hope to find some
brass tubing that was big enough and make probe case with that. If the
hobby store sells the brass tubing, then likely they sell small bits of
brass sheet, and one could make end caps with those.

For things that don't need shielding, old markers to work.

Michael