Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lead Burning plates inside old lead acid cells

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 13:04:44 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Good point. My sister doesn't have them in NorCal, but we do up
here.
Do you have to take in the barrels for the winter, for fear of
freezing, or empty them?

In winter they store wood splints from the log splitter, for kindling.
I don't know if these Rubbermaid trash cans would survive freezing.
Open-topped oil drums freeze last at the ground end so the core of
water pushes the bottom into a dome.

I've forgotten to empty the garden sprayers I modified into fire
extinguishers but freezing didn't hurt them (so far).

How did you seal the connector tube? My method of making bulkhead
fittings from hose repair ends may not be reliable.

I was going to use ShoeGoo (it adheres to damnear everything) but
she
didn't have any. She told me not to worry about it since it was a
fairly snug plastic-plastic fit. Her plastic barrels were narrow
and
tapered, like a Reeky Ricardo tall bongo drum, so she loses maybe 4
gallons by not storing to the top. I don't think I'd follow the
directions to the letter any more, and put any connectors I install
farther toward the top of the drum. This looks like a fairly good
deal for long-term: http://tinyurl.com/mx3z86m or
http://tinyurl.com/lw4b29x
And a spigot: http://tinyurl.com/kdtg9cc

Or a combo which might prevent skeeters: http://tinyurl.com/lfga854

Thanks. Lowes wants too much for similar plastic bulkhead fittings and
mine flex from pull on the hose. They are replacement hose end
fittings with the barb threaded for a locknut.
-jsw