Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default Skimming Brake drums

On 27/03/2017 18:10, harry wrote:
On Monday, 27 March 2017 14:42:31 UTC+1, rick wrote:
On 27/03/17 12:43, Tim+ wrote:
rick wrote:
I need to get a set of brake drums (8" not huge ones)
There is a lip inside each and need to get rid of this before I install
new shoes, and reassemble

Anybody know of anywhere in S.Wales that does this ... I am in Neath.

Have you checked the price of new drums? Might be easier than finding
anyone to skim drums these days.

Tim

Yep. I think new drums are around the £60 a pair for most cars and that
hardly covers getting them on a lathe.

I have found a neighbour with access to a lathe ... but it does not have
a 4 jaw chuck .. only a 3 jaw .... trying to come up with a way to mount
it, and keep it concentric with centre bore.

These are not anywhere near £60 a pair ... but in region of £256 a pair
... so to replace all 4 and add in bearing & seals would be around £550

So you can see why I would like to skim rather than replace.
https://www.towingandtrailers.com/pr...brian-james-2/

Watched a TV programme recently where a guy made an AK47 in a tin shed
in Afghanistan, on a foot powered lathe, but getting engineering work in
UK ... is not easy.
Progress eh ?

Simple. Put the centre hole on the OUTSIDE of the chuck jaws and tighten by moving the jaws outwards.
Check concenricity before machining the metal.
Doesn't your neighbour know this?

My chuck couldn't cope with the small internal diameter, perhaps the
neighbour's chuck can't either?