Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sister Ray Sister Ray is offline

Default Solar Powered Garage Door Opener.

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:39:22 -0500, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

On 3/11/2017 1:44 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
I've been think about installing this in my garage which has no
electricity running to it. I've googled "Solar Powered Garage Door
Opener" and only found general talk, no one who's actually done it and
no company that makes one.

Has anyone here done this or have more info?

David

Amazing # of answers that don't address my question.

And yet, nobody offered a way to convert a solar gate opener, or
suggested you change your door to suit one of those. Not enough
retired guys looking to share their thoughts I guess.

From what I can find, many garage door openers use 12v or 24v motors
with a step down transformer. Bypassing that transformer seems the way
to go.

A small inverter can do the job, which is easier than reinventing the
wheel. You'll need a PV module, charge controller and battery either
way. Those things will be cheaper to buy separately than built into a
niche product.

Much talk about how to construct a system that I've seen elsewhere,
nothing from any who have actually done it.

I described my own backup system, which is something I've done and
which works. It is charged with grid power. Substitute solar, bypass
the parasite safety circuit energy waste and Bob's your Uncle.

I don't see any reason why the concept is flawed, so why isn't there a
complete system on the market already?

Most people who need a solar powered garage door opener need other
things powered by solar as well. So they build a system that powers
everything, and there is tons of that stuff on the mass market. People
who need a garage door opener *only* usually find that running a wire
from the house is cheaper and better, and saves them needing to bypass
the safety circuit or making the solar system larger.
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...ers-are-always

Maybe this is my road to vast wealth?

Safety circuit is mandatory for code, mortgage, and insurance. A DC
opener with or without an approved lower current safety circuit is a
niche among niches.