Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Significance of blue coloured SATA connector on Gigabyte mobo?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 06:46:45 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

MM wrote:
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 12:38:41 +0000, Lee
wrote:

On 25/03/2017 12:24, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 12:03:05 +0000, MM wrote:

I've been given an old tower computer with a Gigabyte motherboard. It
has four SATA sockets, labelled 0, 1, 2 and 3.

SATA socket #0 is coloured blue, the other three are black.

Is there any significance to the blue one, other than it is SATA-0?

I don't have a manual for this mobo and haven't been able to locate one
on the internet yet. It's a very old mobo, circa 2006, but it still
goes! Seems a shame to junk it.

Often, that's a 6Mb/s port. Still works normally.

What he said
Gigabyte are pretty good at having old manuals on their site though,
should be there somewhere

Well, I tried searching. I've searched for hours and have so far found
exactly nothing. The motherboard is stamped GA-8TRC410M-NF and, now
that I have restored all BIOS defaults and can see the startup logo,
have discovered that the PC was originally a Packard-Bell.

MM

I wonder if PB had custom made motherboards for their PCs and consequently
were *supposed* to provide all further support?

Tim

You're right. I used Belarc to find as much info about the mobo I
could and Belarc determined it to be a NEC Computers International
product (made by Gigabyte). Then I found a Packard Bell
serialnumberdetectiontool.exe via an ftp link and this told me that
the board was in a PB iMedia 1529 PC, Model/Type UTOW-RIO
S/N 0498-19220547. In fact, the board was commonly referred to as a
Rio GA-8TRC410M-NF. On the way I read a number of comments that this
board was one of the worst Gigabyte ever produced, although the PC I
was given runs very well.

Further searches on the Wayback Machine found a lot of detail about
this board, though still not the actual motherboard manual. However,
later I found loads of full colour high res images of the board, some
with the various pins and connectors clearly labelled. So I know a lot
more about the board now than I did yesterday!

However, time to save up for a mobo bundle, methinks. £139.99 for
this, for example:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skylake-Pen...erboard+bundle

MM