Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Interconnected smoke detectors - no circuit breaker?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 08:18:26 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Yes, I think we all agree AFCI would be required for new construction and
back to whenever the code requiring them went into effect.

The problem is if you have a permit for anything related to a sleeping
space, you will be coming up to that code. You are actually dealing
with multiple codes too. You have the life safety portion of the
building code (NFPA 72/NFPA 101) and the electric code. These days
most states are using a model code like the ICC to write theirs
(driven by insurance companies) so things like smoke detector
placement and requirements tend to be the same across the country.
If your insurance company is not looking, older homes may not comply
to any of this but those people are becoming more intrusive,
particularly if you are changing companies.