Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Help, cutting stair stringers

On 3/27/17 9:44 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Need to cut stringer with 16 risers, each at 7.33 inches. (total 117-5/16").
Have a decent square and pair of gauges (clamps) that I acquired way back in the 60's.
Question: If I am off only 1/16" per tread, and it's accumulative, I will be off an entire scary one inch.
How do I conveniently measure total rise while the stringer is still on the saw horses, laid out but uncut?
Don't care if any riser is off by 1/16", simply don't want it to accumulate.

Thank you for all replies. No, too inconvenient to put riser in place. Job is 26 miles away.

Ivan Vegvary

If you know the rise AND run, you can figure out the hypotenuse.
Pythagorean Theorem: A2+B2=C2
http://www.mathplanet.com/education/pre-algebra/right-triangles-and-algebra/the-pythagorean-theorem

You can mark each rise/run intersection using the length of the
hypotenuse.
Or just google: stair calculator. :-)

--

-MIKE-