Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default factional HP gast vane pump

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 20:26:14 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 21:30:58 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 18:29:54 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
news

What's the name for installing a roll pin in the direction of a
shaft,
sort of like how a square key sits? That might be the lazy next
option.

Dutchman or Scotch key.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...62/index2.html

Good luck drilling straight along the seam between different
materials.

-jsw

Around here a Dutchman is an inlaid patch, most often a repair to a
defect in a wooden piece. I know the device under discussion as a
Dutch pin.

The problem drilling the joint between different materials can be
minimized by starting the hole with an end mill as close as possible
to the desired size, then enlarging, if necessary, with a drill. Still
can be pucker-inducing.

My preference is for a tapped hole and set screw instead of a pin.
Easier to disassemble, less fussy than fitting a pin, and also retains
the mounted component in the axial direction.

True indeed. Assuming that there is enough material to hold said
setscrew. Most of the vac impeller/shafts Ive seen used minimal
materials. But if he has enough material to hold a set screw..by all
means..use it. A pointed one would be best. Shrug

Yes, whose pointed tip seats in the small conical depression in the
shaft cut by the drill bit. I drill in place, ensuring that it is
lined up. Then I remove the sleeve or gear, and tap it and run a file
or stone across the tapped hole to debur. A drop of Loctite helps it
stay there for a long time.

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying