Posted to uk.d-i-y
rick rick is offline

Default Skimming Brake drums

On 27/03/17 12:43, Tim+ wrote:
rick wrote:
I need to get a set of brake drums (8" not huge ones)
There is a lip inside each and need to get rid of this before I install
new shoes, and reassemble

Anybody know of anywhere in S.Wales that does this ... I am in Neath.

Have you checked the price of new drums? Might be easier than finding
anyone to skim drums these days.

Tim

Yep. I think new drums are around the £60 a pair for most cars and that
hardly covers getting them on a lathe.

I have found a neighbour with access to a lathe ... but it does not have
a 4 jaw chuck .. only a 3 jaw .... trying to come up with a way to mount
it, and keep it concentric with centre bore.

These are not anywhere near £60 a pair ... but in region of £256 a pair
.... so to replace all 4 and add in bearing & seals would be around £550

So you can see why I would like to skim rather than replace.
https://www.towingandtrailers.com/pr...brian-james-2/

Watched a TV programme recently where a guy made an AK47 in a tin shed
in Afghanistan, on a foot powered lathe, but getting engineering work in
UK ... is not easy.
Progress eh ?