Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Skimming Brake drums

Tim+ wrote:
rick wrote:
I need to get a set of brake drums (8" not huge ones)
There is a lip inside each and need to get rid of this before I install
new shoes, and reassemble

Anybody know of anywhere in S.Wales that does this ... I am in Neath.

Have you checked the price of new drums? Might be easier than finding
anyone to skim drums these days.

Tim

There is often very little reserve material on a modern brake drum.
When I have had a lip - usually of rust - I mount the drum on the car
back to front and then manually rotate the drum whilst holding an angle
grinder against the offending lip. A bit of care and it soon done and no
risk of run-out as the braking surfaces are untouched.