Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Lead Burning plates inside old lead acid cells

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:30:39 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 10:09:34 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 07:04:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 09:06:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

Way down on my to-do list:
http://www.agelessengines.com/9cyl.htm
http://www.5bears.com/observe.htm
-jsw

Fantastic! I used to have (lost in a move) plans for a 1/5 scale
A-26. I initially got into machining from 1. workplace envy (I
designed stuff, the shop got to build) and 2. the desire,
unrealistic
though it might be, to power that model with actual radials. If
not
18 cyl (your R-2800), then at least 9.

Way down on the list is a good description.

Pete

It was a small fraction of my excuse to buy this 6-jaw chuck:
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...2276&category=

Yesterday I tapped broom threads
https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G1869.../dp/B0000DD0T7
in 1/2" plastic electrical conduit to make a tool that fits on a
painting extension pole. Neither a 3-jaw nor that 6-jaw would grip
well enough to resist the tapping torque and I had to use a 27/32"
collet. My main excuse to buy the 6-jaw was to chuck tubing larger
than 5C collet size.

That chuck has a gap in its gripping range. It doesn't open much
beyond 1" before the jaws slip off the scroll and the minimum ID it
will fit is 1.310"

The tapped hole was too small to screw on by hand until I
heat-softened the PVC. Threads in oak fit better so the plastic must
have deformed.
-jsw

I did something similar, only I single pointed it in aluminum. Cut
it
upside down to have the bit leaving the hole. I had to modify the
acme profile some to get the handle to spin in. It was for an
adapter
to allow me to get the engine flush bracket onto my outboard while
hanging over the transom (it was in a marina on a lift at the time).

http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/FlushKitClamp10.jpg

Why do you want to do it from inside the boat? On friends' boats,
they/we always put the flusher on the outboard (or I/O) from the
ground, then turned the water on, then started the engine for a
minute.

There was no ground. The boat went from lift into the water, then
upon return, straight back onto the lift hanging over the water.

Beat cracking the cartilage in my ribs, which I did twice before
making it.

Ouch! Didn't learn the first time, wot? BTDT. sigh

That tap would have been handy.

They're nice. The threadboxes are great, too.

Nice work!

Yabbut, no serrations in the elbow?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nungsringe.JPG

The cutting edge on the broom tap is about as sharply raked as a wood
chisel so I decided not to risk it on metal.

The cast zinc male threaded end on the extension pole didn't stand up
to the tasks I gave it and broke off.

Bummer.

I turned an aluminum replacement
and shifted the more strenuous jobs to an unthreaded pool cleaning
extension pole, which has stood up to the stresses of scooping the
gutters and raking crusted snow off the roof.

Those were major adjustments to your method. C'est la vie.

The secret to scooping the gutters from the ground was making mounting
brackets that didn't interfere.

For the gutter itself, or the scoop end?