Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default age

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

newshound explained :
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

Usenet does not have the traffic it once did; my suspicion is that the
younger element congregate to what might be perceived as the slightly more
social environment of the web based bulletin boards, plus of course the
social media.

I didn't discover Usenet until the early 2000's, I had heard of it, but
just couldn't work out how to get to actually make use of it. I had
used email and some home Internet via Free something-or-other for many
years.

Now I have a raft of devices all making use of my broadband, but I am
always left wondering if I might be missing out on something, like I
missed out on Usenet for many years. One thing I really ought to do, is
get my head around setting up an email server, rather than the mess I
have at present of each system grabbing mail from my accounts when its
turned on.

Sounds like each device you have is configured to delete mail from
server once downloaded.

Shurely only the first to poll would get the email then? Which
isn't what's happening...
--
Jim K