Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger[_19_] Roger[_19_] is offline

Default OT Tablet computer?

On 03/26/2017 07:46 AM, Peter wrote:
On 3/25/2017 5:31 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/25/2017 01:29 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
My old 7" Android tablet gronked which is why I bought the Fire
tablet and it works better for video than the Android tablet did.

The Fire is an Android tablet when you get down to it. The 7" HD
version does have an excellent screen for the money though.

Yes, BUT. Amazon uses a modified android operating system in the Fire
and without extensive fiddling, which may create problems, many
side-loaded Android apps will not run or will not run properly even if
they seem to fully install on a Kindle Fire. Other Android apps won't
even load onto a Fire. The google app "store" for third party apps is
inaccessible on a Fire and most google developed apps will neither
load nor run on a Fire. I've had a FireHDX for more than 3 years and
although the display is superb and I've been able to do almost
everything with it that I need, I wouldn't get another Kindle Fire.
The reasons: (1) The choice of available apps on the Amazon ap store
is very limited compared to the google app store, and (2) Amazon
offers free excellent Kindle apps for Android (and for Apple IOS) that
enable you to download and read any Amazon e-book just as well on a
pure Android or Apple device as you do using a Kindle. The bottom
line if you are economizing is knowing exactly how you intend to use
the device and then finding the least expensive device that is
compatible with those uses and avoid over-spending for capabilities
you don't need.

+1