Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Threading a cable in ceiling void from below

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
On 25/03/2017 20:18, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/03/17 12:03, F wrote:
It looks as though I'm going to have to thread a thin, so very flexible,
cable into the ceiling void from below and then out again a couple of
metres further across. I've used a straightened coat hanger in similar
circumstances before but the current stock won't straighten to the
required distance.

I can't get at it from above, but at least the joists run in the right
direction for me.

So what's the best way to do it?

The classic way is something like the lid from some 15-20mm trunking -
it's rigid enough to poke, but flexible enough to go through holes. Tape
the cable to the end and push.

No, the classic way is to send a cat through the void with string tied
to it. But that's easier from above, if you can take up some floorboards
- would otherwise need rather large holes in the ceiling. I suppose you
could try a mouse . . .

when we moved into our first house, my 6yo brother in law was only too
happy to crawl under the floors pulling cables. His mothere thought he
should haaav been wearing old clothes ;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England