Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Threading a cable in ceiling void from below

On 25/03/17 13:54, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/03/17 12:03, F wrote:
It looks as though I'm going to have to thread a thin, so very flexible,
cable into the ceiling void from below and then out again a couple of
metres further across. I've used a straightened coat hanger in similar
circumstances before but the current stock won't straighten to the
required distance.

I can't get at it from above, but at least the joists run in the right
direction for me.

So what's the best way to do it?

Tie a small piece of iron, such as a 1" nail (insulated with tape if
necessary), to a thin, strong thread. Push through hole into ceiling
space and pull along with a neodymium magnet just under the ceiling.
Once the nail appears, pull through and tie the cable to the thread, and
pull that through.

Top marks for most novel approach so far

Blush :-)

--

Jeff