Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Bigmouthed Idiot

On 03/25/2017 07:41 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/25/2017 8:45 AM, philo wrote:

To say that people can opt out of health insurance would be like saying
people can opt out of car insurance.

No one is going to go through life never having a health issue of some
sort. It's possible for someone to drive their whole life and never get
in a car accident.

If you have no health insurance (your choice) you can just go home and
die. If you crash into a car and injure 5 people, you are liable. You
do NOT have to insure your own car though.

In most of the states I have lived in, you did have to insure your car.
An exception is Montana where you do not have to insure motorcycles,
although I do. In fact I just paid they yearly premium on one of the
bikes, $100 and change. Funny how insurance is cheaper on the vehicles
where it isn't mandatory.

I haven't checked recent statistics but iirc even in states like
Massachusetts where you physically pick up your plates at your insurance
man's, there was still around 10% non-compliance, hence the additional
premium for uninsured motorists.

That's typical. Pass laws that encourage higher rates but don't enforce
them well enough that the people who do comply have to pay additional to
cover the scofflaws.