Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default What is this old car, with rounded shell, inch thick woodinterior?

On 3/25/2017 8:30 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/24/2017 11:07 PM, wrote:

'60s American cars had no shortage of horsepower
and nothing changed in the laws of physics to
change that. What changed was the law. The
electronics let a car that is in compliance with
the new laws produce as much power as one that
was produced before the laws went into effect.

No, cars produce a lot more power now. It's not unusual to see a six
delivering 300HP now. I recall any 300HP sixes from the 60s, or 650HP
stock anything.

My last car was a 2.0 ltr. 4 cylinder with turbo. The guy driving the
Camero could not understand why my sedan could pass him no matter how
hard he pushed the pedal.

Even modest cars today have pretty good performance. There were some
bad years though when the first pollution stuff was hung on engines.
IIRC it was about mid 70's.

My wife's V6 Camry can out accelerate my sons 84, mint condition,
Corvette, on the highway.