Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rotary three phase converter motors.

On Sat, 25 Mar 2017 06:22:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

When I was at the local scrap yard, _I saw some ( maybe 8 ) 10 hp three phase motors. It looked like some company had sent some spare parts to the scrap yard.

If anyone is interested I can get all the name plate data for you. This is in New Castle county, Delaware.

Dan

10 hp motors will cost more money to run than will a 5hp motor, no
matter the application.

Its been my experience that most..most home shops need no more than
5hp. I have a 5 hp myself, yet I run a 7.5hp lathe on it

Check the data plates for RPM. Every rpm will work..but 3600 rpm
motors are...LOUD..just because of the speed of the fan. For some
value of loud. 1725 or Less rpm make decent RPCs. A buddy has one of
the less common 1000 rpm motors..and you can barely hear it run.

Chinese motors work, though bearings may need replacing. Here in
California, used 3ph motors can be purchased for about $2.50-5 x HP
rating. Single phase motors are the expensive critters, as they have
more none industrial application.

Having a name brand 10hp motor is only part of the equation. The other
is having circuit breakers and service capacity to run one.

Someone here may well indeed need one and thanks for posting it for
the folks!

Gunner