Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Threading a cable in ceiling void from below

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
It looks as though I'm going to have to thread a thin, so very flexible, cable into the
ceiling void from below and then out again a couple of metres further across. I've used
a straightened coat hanger in similar circumstances before but the current stock won't
straighten to the required distance.

I can't get at it from above, but at least the joists run in the right direction for
me.

So what's the best way to do it?

For a plasterboard ceiling then magnets ? I've not been following the
magnet thread but a while back I bought 2 small (2.2cm long) cylindrical
magnets off of eBay for some reason I've long forgotten. Trying them out
on top and underneath a 38mm worktop then positioned lengthwise the
bottom one easily moves the top one providing the polarity is reversed.
The top magnet spins automatically at the start in any case. With a bit
of string tied to the top one this should work.

If its lath and plaster then you're buggered as ,as soon as it meets an
obstruction equivalent in height to a lath, the top magnet stands up
and then does a back somersault despite manipulating the bottom magnet
in various ways.

michael adams