Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_78_] Bob[_78_] is offline

Default Septic Tank Problems?

I just bought an old farmhouse (really good deal) an am going through all the repairs that need to be done and now have a puzzle.

When a large amount of water is flushed down the pipes (i.e. bathtub emptying) the basement fills with sewer gas. Found a clean-out cover rusted out (and now fixed) but still having the gas odor.

I think that when the waste water enters the tank, the gas gets pushed back. After the fix it has dropped noticeably, but it appears it has now been directed to the tank vent.

There's still some gas in the basement, and a fairly good stench from the septic vent, have I been living in the city so long to forget that this is normal?