Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Treadmill exercise machine

I rescued a treadmill that someone had thrown out, It looks fairly
new, even the clear protective film on the display hadn't been
removed.

It soon became evident that the motor had seized up. I found one on
Ebay, 1HP 500W 220-240V 3.5A and despite mine saying it was
750W 220-250V 3.5A I decided it was probably the right part anyway and
decided to give it a punt for £50 delivered.

But before committing myself I thought I would pull the seized one
apart
http://tinypic.com/r/5jtjtc/9

That hard white grunge seems to have leached out of the stator
somehow, it seems like epoxy resin or similar and was fouling the gap
between the stator and the permanent magnets. Some careful surgery
with a Stanley knife, and reassembly got it rotating freely again.

So after reassembling the machine and checking the PSU and
display/keypad PCBs were perfectly dry, the machine had been in the
rain for about 12 hours, I plugged it in to be greeted by the display
saying "SAFE" and no response from the start button.

Disconnected the motor, thinking the electronics was detecting a
shorted winding, but still got the same "SAFE"

To cut what could have been a very long story short, it's a good job I
was able to identify what the component circled in red was, as it was
pivotal in diagnosing what was missing.

http://tinypic.com/r/10ygz0z/9

I recon there are quite a few here who will also be able to identity
it, and the significance.

Anyway it's working perfectly now.

I wonder if "GymRatZ" will see this, I nearly posted this in
uk.telecom.voip Pete.
A post about a Salus Sports X-LITE can't be off topic there ;-)

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%