Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default age

On 24/03/17 10:07, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 23:27:29 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:43:28 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Bob Eager

On 2017-03-23, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/03/2017 17:25, Phil L wrote:
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 21/03/2017 20:26, Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical
activity here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as
clueless as usual.

slrn is just as clueless, then.

Pan is obviously clueless, too.

Can't these things decode a quoted-printable encoded word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

I don't believe his From: header is syntactically correct; it seems to
be missing a '(' at the start of the CFWS (he has a ')' at the end, as
the =29, and I'm not sure a semicolon belongs there at all.

Well, his From: header is of the form:

From: Joe Soap

rather than:

From: (Joe Soap) or From: "Joe Soap"
or From: "Joe Soap"

It's of the form:

From: ;¬)

All forms are equally valid, AFAIK.

Not sure that is.

Here, Thoth correctly decodes the string outside the to give:

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk

where the ;¬) is just a smiley.

ITYM 'inside', but the bit at the end isn't compliant.

It's the placement of the text outside the - **after** the address -
that's the thing.

IIRC the order of the elements doesn't matter. What counts is that the
machine readable bit is in or the human readable bit is in " ", (or
both).

There's an RFC if you like.

What isn't guaranteed is the use of UTF8 or indeed anything but pure
ASCII *outside* the body of the message.

That is the charset is specified in part of the header, and there is no
guarantee it will be applied to other than the body.