Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default How much current flows through pylons?

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 13:38:31 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

The National Grid uses 132kV and above; the rest is owned by the Local
supply Company

A lot of the 132kV infrastructure owned by the old state owned CEGB
when it was operated as part of the bulk transfer system which is what
most people mean by National Grid was transferred to the area boards
in England and Wales. This came about after much of it had been
superceded by the later 275kV and 400kV so the 132kV network which was
the original National Grid from the 1930's was reclassified as
distribution and so fell into the local boards remit.
Quite a long time ago now back in the 1970's I think it was but
because the original National Grid with its 132kV got so well known
even today a lot of people don't know the transfer took place make
the assumption that 132kV = National Grid. .
I think National Grid now only have 132kV lines in Scotland but with
all the changes since privatization they may have acquired some again
in England and Wales, the present private operators who succeeded the
boards such as Western Power Distribution are still adding to their
132kV infrastructure sometimes replacing 33kV to increase capacity or
as a way to link in a solar or wind farm over a reasonable distance,
and as I pointed out elsewhere in the thread these 132kV lines are
often on single wooden poles. They are easily recognisable as the
large insulators are arranged in a Trident shape to get the conductor
separation.
http://www.freedom-group.co.uk/wp-co...ent-5-Copy.jpg

G.Harman