Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Chainsaw

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 23/03/17 15:25, jim wrote:
harry Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 22 March 2017 18:41:40 UTC, jim wrote:
Jonathan Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 2:47:16 PM UTC, wrote:
Ok amusingly we have all just discovered how rubbish I am at estimating size ?????? I wasn't at home when I sent the original request so guessed!!!

So now I have measured them. They are around 350mm (14") thick and diameter! Looking at them they are actually starting to split a bit so maybe the axe option would work. To be honest i don't relish the thought of using a chainsaw anyway. Is this the sort of axe you mean?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-...maul-8lb/87268

Any advice on best way to split them (disks) with the axe? I assume I hit the cracks first but for those without cracks should I aim for the grain or across the grain?

Thanks again

Lee.

If you have a sledge hammer already, these are cheaper and very effective:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-...splitter/51334

You are right start near an existing split and work from there.

Jonathan

I never got these to work as intended.
still in the shed rusting.

Splitting maul. Good workout :-)
--
Jim K

It depends on what sort of wood you have and how many knots there are.

What sort of wood
do they work with?

straight grained that splits. Oak, ash. beech, maple, sycamore all good.
Hawthorn and blackthorn less so. Willow and poplar total nightmare.

Sycamore, oak, beech & some hawthorn here, with splitting maul &
electro-hydraulic splitter on bits that'll fit in...

Wood grenade things are crap ime.

--
Jim K