Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable AC platform

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 11:09:09 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 9:57 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Let's see, what would sensible people prefer? A small drain
hose going to outside or a drain so that it never has to be
emptied? Or a commode sitting in their living space?

A small drain hose going to the outside will not work. I'm not drilling
a hole in my house, AND I'm not going to use a commode because it won't
work, either. It's not heavy duty enough, and not the right dimensions.

I DO know how to work with wood, power tools, screws, various hardware,
and stuff related to building things. So, I built a scrap wood platform
high enough to allow space enough to put a bucket under it, AND sturdy
enough to hold the weight of a heavy portable AC unit. THEN I put a
plastic liner in it that I inserted a drain plug into the center of it.

So, WTF is the problem then?

I was looking for a similar product or idea to what I made that had a
better design.

Using a pump might be a good solution for someone who knows about pumps,
wiring things, and electricity. For example, if you set up a pump to
trigger a switch to cut off the AC when the tub is full, how do you wire
that up to turn off the AC? I don't want to electrocute myself or
damage the AC. I'm not an electrician, or AC repair guru. If I break
it, I don't know how to fix it.

So, I do what I can with the skills I have and build a platform to catch
and drain the excess water into a large basin so I don't have to sop up
the excess water- I can just dump it out of a bucket once every other day.

If the commode can handle a 400 lb ass it can handle the AC
(Bariatric commodes can handle 600 lbs) and even a standard one can
handle 250 lb with no problem. I'm 110% certain your portable AC
weighs a lot less than that - and with minor mods it won't even
resemble a commode.

You are, as usual, being your petulant self. (or petty if you like
that better))

You asked for a factory made solution with a better design. I gave it
to you, yet all you can do is kvetch (as usual) You and Mikey need to
get together!!!