Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable AC platform

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 09:40:11 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/23/2017 9:16 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 11:50:36 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
On 3/22/2017 10:35 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 23:25:00 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 22:13:48 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/22/2017 8:06 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 17:22:38 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/22/2017 4:09 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 15:34:54 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/22/2017 3:16 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:46:54 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/22/2017 5:20 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/21/17 6:11 PM, Muggles wrote:
I have a couple of portable AC units that I use during the summer, and
wanted to ask if anyone had ever had this issue before.

A bunch cut.

Have you tried cart, furniture cart, or dollie? And Harbor Freight?
Furniture cart turned up fancier ones.

Yes, I've looked at those type of things, too. They usually aren't high
enough off the floor to insert a bucket to catch the excess condensation.

Use a commode - they come with a bucket built in.

That doesn't make sense.
Why not?

A commode??

an old portable crapper. Set the (crappy) portable AC unit on the
seat and let it drain.

So, you really don't have a good idea where I could find a better
version of a portable AC platform to catch and drain excess AC condensation?

Yes. Go to an antique shop and my an old commode chair, or to your
local goodwill type store-or to your local health and mobility supply
and buy a new one.
I'm DEAD SERIOUS.
Basically an adult "potty chair" Get one with a flat topoften
bariatric - or easier to find and lower cost - a standard one and
fasten s wooden flat top on it.

Something like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Medline-S...ommode/7983655 Remove
the plastic seat.. Install a shelf in it's place.. Put hole in shelf
for drain. Drain into commode bucket. The bucket can be removed from
the front without disturbing the air conditioner.. A float switch CAN
be installed to shut off the air conditioner when the bucket gets too
full.

hmmmm OK ... I understand what you're describing, now. I don't think
the potty chair is wide or deep enough, though, to fit the dimensions of
the rolling AC. That is a good idea.

I thought you were pulling my leg on this one! Sorry!

This is so typical. Here you are talking about using a commode when
one of the first posts gave you an excellent, easy, solution:

Gf "Why not just add a small condensate pump and send the water down a
drain somewhere? "

You: "I don't know how I'd do that, but it sounds like a good idea."

So, you're too lazy to google a bit, educate yourself, figure out
what he recommended, which is so simple a child could do it.
Instead you prefer an endless thread of more BS. The village idiot
rides again and this time, you're riding the commode.

I'm not mechanical, and I don't know how to open up a portable AC unit
and tinker with it by adding a pump to it. That involves needing to know
about things I've never done or seen done, plus, it involves needing to
have some knowledge about electricity, pumps, and the guts of an AC unit
(what to mess with and what not to mess with). PLUS, I don't want to
drill any holes in my house just so I can drain the water to the
outside. That's just not a good idea.

I DO know how to work with wood, power tools, screws, various hardware,
and stuff related to building things. So, I built a scrap wood platform
high enough to allow space enough to put a bucket under it, AND sturdy
enough to hold the weight of a heavy portable AC unit. THEN I put a
plastic liner in it that I inserted a drain plug into the center of it.

Asking for advice and help with a home project is totally 'on topic'
here, and even if I don't know how to do everything other people can do,
at least I try to build something that is designed to meet the need I'm
asking about.

You're no help at all.

The condensate pump is NOt put inside the unit. It is put in the
drain pan so you don't need to empty it, or in many cases just
connected to the drain. It has a small reservoir, and when it gets
full it starts the pump. When it gets empty it shuts the pump off.
They are used extensively on furnace mounter AC units and on
condensing furnaces.