Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Carlos E. R.[_2_] Carlos E. R.[_2_] is offline

Default You probably don't know the answer but what allows WiFi scanninganyway?

On 2017-03-22 19:45, wrote:

When you tack a new gadget with an unfamiliar operating system, Android
in this case, you need an open mind. And ask around things that you find
difficult to do, maybe you are doing it wrong.

What I do remember is that I found it would connect to the WIFI, but the
browser was not easy to use. I found I could install something more
familiar (Firefox), but doing the installation was something I could not
figure out. Its not just a matter of downloading it and running the
installer, (like in Windows).

Installing an app is trivial in Android, but different than in Windows.

Just find the wanted app in "Google Play" app, tap "install", exit
"Google Play", tap on the new app icon. Done.

I did fight with it and managed to watch
some youtube videos. Saving them was not possible, like it is with
Firefox. When I did save something and wanted to copy it to computer,
that again was near impossible.

This is intentional.

A tablet is not a laptop, it is different.

Then came the camera. The stupid thing was only for selfies. I have
absolutely no need for that. I turned it around and without seeing what
I was shooting, I snapped some pics of my yard, in good light. The pics
were absolutely horrid, grainy and lousy.

Most tablets have two cameras, one front, one rear (usually a better
one). There is a button on the camera app to choose which.

The front camera is not only for selfies; it is intended, as in many
laptops, for video conferencing.

If your gadget doesn't have a rear camera, well, then, you bought the
wrong device. And cheap devices have lousy cameras, that's a fact.

That is, you can buy a tablet for 50 euros or dollars. But don't expect
much from those. Just entry devices to explore and find out if you want
a better one or not.

The other thing I remember was that since it'sd owned by Google,

No, it is not.

I was
constantly having google trying to get me to download games. I dont play
games at all, and that was very annoying.

That wasn't google. That was the vendor of your device. Some brands are
bad at that.

I dont care if XP is not supported.

You should. It is open to viruses. It can be used by hackers as a
platform to attack other computers from other people.

It works, works well, and personally
I would not even want any of Microsoft's newer bloated operating
systems. I know Windows 10 is filled with MS spyware, but it seemed to
me that Android was filled with google spyware too.

Google does want to know what you do, yes, but they don't hide that
fact. They are quite open about it. They differentiate what is private
and treat it as such.

On Windows 10 you can easily disable what is generally considered
intrusive. You just need a list of those things and disable them, as
several howtos in the net explain how to do it.

I'm not a Windows lover, my system of choice is Linux. However, I find
Windows 10 quite good, considering, once customized. I prefer Windows 7,
but 10 is safer.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.