Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default OT USA check in foreign denomination

On 3/22/2017 3:41 AM, Micky wrote:
My friend's grandson is graduating highschool this year and I wanted
to give him a present. But he has 4 siblings and I won't be here
for their graduations.

I also forgot to bring my checkbook for my checking account or my
savings account.

when I get home can I mail them a USA check made out in Danish
Crowns?

Or does it have to be dollars and the bank where they cash the check
will convert it to crowns for them.

Is there a financial advantage to me, either way?

I don't think so, but I think it would look nicer and they would
appreciate it if there check mer made out in Crowns.

If you want to cash or deposit a check in a U.S. bank, it must either be
in U.S. currency or first converted to U.S. currency. I don't even know
if a U.S. Bank's check is negotiable if it is written to be in a foreign
currency. Every U.S. Bank or Credit Union's check I've ever seen is
pre-printed both with the "$" at the right side of the second line and
the word "Dollars" at the right side of the third line. That suggests
to me that you cannot write a U.S. checking account check to be payable
in a foreign currency.

The fee for currency conversion is often the sum of a flat rate
charge plus a certain percentage of the U.S. currency value of the
conversion. Therefore, for a small conversion, the fee can come close
to equaling or even exceed the U.S. value of the check. As this is a
gift, don't imposed the inconvenience and expense of either an invalid
check or of currency conversion on the recipient. Find a way of
providing your gift check in U.S. dollars. Also, speaking from personal
knowledge, don't be tempted to purchase shares of stock on a non-U.S.
stock exchange (where they will be registered) as a gift for a U.S.
resident. The recipient will have incredible difficulties if they ever
want to sell those shares!