Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Portable AC platform

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 18:11:08 -0500, Muggles
wrote:

I have a couple of portable AC units that I use during the summer, and
wanted to ask if anyone had ever had this issue before.

Initially, the units do great cooling the house and there's a drain on
the back of the machine that I can put a hose in to divert the
condensation into a larger container so I don't have to take it outside
to drain it.

Our summers can get very humid, and the machine eventually ends up
spilling excess condensation into the pan at the bottom of the machine
and it ends up overflowing onto the floor. So, I found a large plastic
container lid that I could use the catch that water, but it still was
producing too much condensation from the humidity. I'd end up having to
go to too much trouble to either sop up that water, or drain it by some
other means.

I decided to make an AC platform about 8 inches off the floor where I
could line it with plastic that has a drain hole in it, so any excess
water would be caught in the plastic liner and drain into a large bucket
below it which would be easy to just dump in the sink (no more sopping
water up or going to a lot of trouble to deal with the excess
condensation). I couldn't find anything from any business that made
something like that already, so I had to design something that was just
functional.

It's not "pretty", but it works!
ac-platform: http://i68.tinypic.com/29bd11j.jpg

Does anyone know of anything already pre-built that serves the same
purpose that can be ordered online? I've looked using many different
search terms and come up with nothing, so I made a rough version of
something functional myself.

If you don't know of anything already pre-made like this, how would you
design it differently to do the same thing?

Why not just add a small condensate pump and send the water down a
drain somewhere?