Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default confessions of a small engine hitman

On 3/20/2017 7:32 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/20/2017 4:45 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/20/2017 2:23 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/20/2017 9:23 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/19/2017 1:00 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/2017 9:21 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/18/2017 2:27 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Oh yeah, stabilizer... I don't use it. Stabilizer seems to be
one of
those "doesn't hurt" products that some areas actually need but
others
are just wasting money

Agreed, although not sure what areas you need stabilizer?
I live in Pgh Pa where the weather ranges from 20 below to over
100, so
the climate seems to be a non-issue.

Over the past 60+ years my brother an I have owned over 16 gas
powered
machines. Most of them we still have and use, none of them have we
ever
used stabilizer or drained the gas. Never had a problem.

My brother, who at one time was a chemical engineer for Gulf
Research,
said oil companies put additives in gas that keep it good for long
periods of time. Gas turning to varnish is probably something that
you
needed to wring your hands over pre-1950-60's. I don't think they
had
stabilizer then, when it was needed.

I will add that a friend of my brother gave him an old snow blower
that
didn't run. There was no gas in it and the carburetor was all gummed
up. Turns out the guy USED stabilizer in it, let the gas dry up and
the
stabilizer turned into gum. The main thing I guess is don't let the
gas
evaporate if you use stabilizer.

The other issue I never worry about is keep the tank full, otherwise
water vapor will condense and you get water in your gas. Never
worried
about that either, and never had a problem.

Oh, our 1954 and 1956 Gravely Tractors and my 1975 Sears chainsaw
can be
hard to start, have been that way since birth. A squirt of ether
cures
that. Older equipment has inferior electrical systems and can be
hard
to start. Newer stuff seems to fire up first pull. My lawnmower,
which
I rarely use, has 2 year old gas in it, and it starts first pull
every
time.

Of course, my 60+ years of first hand experience shouldn't stop
anyone
from wringing their hands and buying the hype, but since EC asked, I
shared...

You do not need gas stabilizer,,,,until you do.

60 years of not needing stabilizer seems somewhat significant.

Bigger cities that have
pollution problems tend to use fuels that seem more prone to go bad.

I live in Pgh. Pa., actually Allegheny County. It is not well known
for
it's pollution free environment, particularly when steel mills lived
here. Also not particularly small, with population of over a million
it's considered large.

A tiny town compared to the Houston metro area and the pollution we are
talking about is from gasoline engines. Pittsburgh is about 5% of
Houston.

Well, anything over 300,000 is considered large.

Maybe to you. I grew up in corpus Christi, Tx. I consider it a
small place, 305,000.

Not to me, the National league of Cities. I found it on-line when
looking up population and and square miles of various cities. Note it
says "very large" not simply "large" ;~)

http://www.nlc.org/number-of-municip...n-distribution

"The U.S.'s 19,492 municipal governments range in population size from
very large (over 300,000) to very small (under 1,000). The vast
majority (over 90%) of municipal governments in the U.S. have
populations under 25,000."

You want to argue that, you can tell them.

Houston is 626 sq
miles with population of 2.2 million. Allegheny County is 745 sq miles
with a population of 1.2 million. Closer to 50% than 5% I think.
Still, don't see what that has to do with anything as far as gas going
stale is concerned.

I said, Houston Metro, 6 million. That would be 8,928 square miles, 12
times larger than Allegheny County. Houston encompasses at least 9
small cities and is adjacent to probably a dozen others. And the metro
area includes everything between Houston and Galveston with little open
land to distinguish city limits.

That is why we have the special fuels that don't last.

A great reason to not live in Houston Metro. If my gas suddenly started
to go bad like it used to in the 1920's, I'd be looking for some
explanations from someone. Is everything in Texas this backward?
Perhaps all the chemical plants are affecting judgement?

Would seem to me that if adding stabilizers to fuel fixed the problem,
then why on earth would the refractories not do it for you, like they
have been doing for us for over 50 years?

At any rate, just because Houston has problems, doesn't mean the rest of
the country does.

Snip

Not the imagination when you have to use the additives to keep the
equipment running. I did not start with additives but ended up there.

True that. All I could add is if you own Honda, or buy gas in Houston,
use gas stabilizer.

Or any other brand yard equipment.

--
Jack