Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Chainsaw

wrote in message
Hi all

I have a pile of logs/ slices of tree trunk in the garden which i have no
use for other than to chop up and use for outdoor heating.

This is going to be a one off event so thought i would hire a chainsaw but
these seem to be very expensive for even a day (circa £70). I was then
going to buy one on eBay which needed a service but when i asked the
seller about whether it run (as i have never used one before) he said it
run but would need some tweaking to work properly and therefore was not
suited for an inexperienced person.

I had assumed that provided it run, all would be well
but this reply would imply otherwise and that i should
be careful buying a used one if i don't know how to
set it up - i guess it could be dangerous?

Yes, chainsaws are one of the most
dangerous common tools around.

So... Now looking at a new electric one from Lidl £50.

Anyone have any experience in this?

Yes, I actually prefer electric ones but for other reasons. Particularly
when up a ladder trimming trees, it can be a pain in the arse to restart
a petrol chainsaw. Never have that problem with an electric one.

Should i be afraid to buy an eBay one?

I have in fact bought a ryobi at a garage/yard
sale and didnt bother to try it before I bought it.
Electric chainsaws are very simple devices and
I obviously knew where he lived and could have
returned it if he had lied about it working fine.

Anyone any experience with the Lidl one?

Not in my case.