Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Amplifier transistor substitution.

Trevor Wilson wrote:

**I am VERY wary about buying anything from WES now. From their ****ty
electrolytic caps (Jamicon - horrible things, one batch of 100 I
purchased had a 30% failure rate - I had to recall half a dozen units I
serviced as a precaution)

** I must have bought hundreds of Jamicon electro fromn WES over the last two decades- never had a single faulty one.

to counterfeit semiconductors, I've been
caught several times. As have some of my colleagues.

** WES had a lot of fake TO3 devices - popular ones like MJ15003 and MJ15024 in their stocks. The problem was they were reluctant to admit it or remove them from stock.

The typical attitude of such businesses is " the customer is always wrong ".

I purchased some
large, Japanese flatpack (two screw mounting types) from WES last year.
Same type as the ones in the amp. It failed during bench testing.
Subsequent tests on replacement devices revealed a breakdown Voltage
(VCEO) of around 90 Volts. The original devices are specc'd at 230
Volts.

** That sounds like the big Sanken ones, eg 2SC2922 and 2SC3264 etc.

Never had a bad one of them from WES either.

Recently acquired stock might be different.

.... Phil