Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default confessions of a small engine hitman

On 3/20/2017 11:10 AM, wrote:

Interesting. I have a 40 year old chain saw, and a 20 year old weed
wacker. For years I mixed regular gas and regular NON-detergent, 20
weight oil in the gas at I think 16-1 ratio. The mixture would sit for
YEARS before being used up, and never had a problem.

Jack - you live a charmed life ! .. and I'm truly happy for you.

I reckon. My brother also leads a charmed life. Couple of others in
here also lead a "charmed life" as they also don't have a problem. At
some point, certainly after 60+ years, I think there is more than
"charmed life" going on.

But for those of us who aren't quite so lucky - the link below is
what Honda advises.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...ecommendations

A quick reading of that link leads me to call total hogwash on that.
Number 4 says:
"If you do not plan to operate the generator frequently (less than once
a month), drain the carburetor following the directions shown in the
owner’s manual."

That is about as stupid as it gets. If it's true, and it isn't, I would
never buy a Honda generator as there is something drastically wrong with
an engine that needs gas less than 1 month old.

By all means do what ever floats your boat. Simply sharing my personal,
first hand experiences. I doubt Luck is any part of the picture. No
one gets away with 60+ years of luck, with so much varied equipment.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com